Level 1 Music
Teacher in Charge: Mrs D. McHugh
This course is composed of internal and external Music Achievement Standards. Music 1.6 is the only Standard that contributes towards Level 1 Literacy. Students will pursue performance, song writing, composition, theory and research.
The entry criteria are based on a student’s Year 10 Music results and teacher recommendations. To have received formal tuition for a full year is an advantage. Formal tutition on a choosen instrument is a requirement and must continue throughout the year.
End of course assessment criteria:
• Performance is assessed at three year’s formal tuition.
• Research is assessed at Year 11 or Level 1 Literacy.
• Music writing is assessed at two years in classroom Music (Year 10 and 11).
Year 11 Music pathway:
• Provides opportunity for developing music skills including performance and writing
• Is the foundation of music education through the NCEA journey,
• Provides a deeper understanding and appreciation of music for life beyond school and into the community, and
• Prepares students for prerequisites into further and tertiary education.
Recommended Prior Learning
Year 10 Music or similar, and two years formal tuition on an instrument.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
Total Credits Available: 26 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 22 credits.
Term: 3, Week: 8
Term: 2, Week: 5
Term: 2, Week: 9
Term: 2, Week: 7