Level 1 Music
Teacher in Charge: Mrs D. McHugh
This course is composed of internal and external Music Achievement Standards. Music 1.6 is the only Standard that contributes towards Level 1 Literacy. Students will pursue performance, song writing, composition, theory and research.
The entry criteria are based on a student’s Year 10 Music results and teacher recommendations. To have received formal tuition for a full year is an advantage. Formal tutition on a choosen instrument is a requirement and must continue throughout the year.
End of course assessment criteria:
• Performance is assessed at three year’s formal tuition.
• Research is assessed at Year 11 or Level 1 Literacy.
• Music writing is assessed at two years in classroom Music (Year 10 and 11).
Year 11 Music pathway:
• Provides opportunity for developing music skills including performance and writing
• Is the foundation of music education through the NCEA journey,
• Provides a deeper understanding and appreciation of music for life beyond school and into the community, and
• Prepares students for prerequisites into further and tertiary education.
Recommended Prior Learning
Year 10 Music or similar, and two years formal tuition on an instrument.
Total Credits Available: 26 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 22 credits.
Term: 2, Week: 7
Term: 2, Week: 9
Term: 2, Week: 5
Term: 3, Week: 8